Monday 4 March 2013

A tale of an excellent healthcare system

It seems that everywhere you turn these days there's another horror story about the NHS. In the wake of the Mid-Staffordshire report, press, patients and staff are reeling from what seems like a never- ending list of systematic failures. Some of us in the UK are no doubt left questioning the value of the NHS, wondering whether our taxes are being spent on nurses who are more about painting their nails and chatting than looking after patients and doctors who merrily stand by as scores of patients die while they discuss what they watched on TV last night.

As with all things, the juicier media stories come out of negative experiences. There are major failings in the NHS for sure, and my goodness we need to address them. But we need to also realise that there are a huge amount of strengths associated with our healthcare system also. Alas, our current health secretary seems hellbent on destroying the good bits once and for all. Unless we start paying attention to the good, positive stories... Well, as the cliche goes, you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

So here is a little story of my recent experience with the NHS.

As you will no doubt know by now, given my incessant whinging on the subject, I currently have guttate psoriasis. You'll probably also know that it's completely freaked me out, and caused a bit of a flare up of anxiety.

I registered with my local doctors, which I had been meaning to do for ages. I rang at 8am and had a registration appointment by 9:30am that day. The healthcare assistant i saw was warm, friendly, and very empathetic. By 10:15 I was seen by a doctor who was equally friendly, had a good proper look at my rash, and who explored my feelings about it and helped me rationalise my anxiety about it. By 10:30 I was out the door, prescription in hand, and feeling much better.

Fast forward a few weeks and my rash is still getting worse. I pop back to the doctors and again am seen by a doctor who takes a lot of time and effort to find out how the rash is affecting me in myself. She made me feel totally justified in my feelings and went out of her way to arrange an urgent dermatology referral for me. I had a throat swab for residual strep with the same healthcare assistant who looked after me initially and she was brilliant, chatting with me about how often her mum had to scrub the bath when her sister had eczema as a child. We had a bit of a giggle, and that was exactly what I needed. I get the feeling that had I needed a good cry, she would have been equally happy to spend time listening.

Some might say this is just them doing their job. Maybe it is, but I think in my case they've done their job brilliantly. I've felt like I've seen people whose primary aim is to help patients like me, and who genuinely care about my emotions and quality of life.

It's little stories like this that have kept the NHS going for all these years. They're also the kind of stories that are so easily forgotten. I know from experience that a little bit of positive feedback from someone you've made a difference to can really make your week, so if you've had a similarly positive experience, no matter how small, I urge you to share it.

Hxxx